Block Island School Needs You!
Be a volunteer! There are several ways you can volunteer at the school:
- Participate in various committees such as the School Improvement Team or the Health and
- Join the Block Island School Friends
- Assist the chef in the cafeteria during lunch time from 10:50 AM. to 12:20 PM.
- Chaperone a field trip or a sporting event;
- Contribute snacks for classroom events, birthdays or special celebrations;
- Help on the school grounds, especially in the Block Island School Garden; and/or
- Share your particular talents and expertise relating to curriculum with classroom teachers!
The New Shoreham School Department (NSSD) and Rhode Island State law requires anyone working with our students to have a criminal background check performed. Any person seeking employment with the NSSD who has not previously been employed by us during the past 12 months shall undergo a national and state criminal background check. This includes being fingerprinted by the New Shoreham Police Department for a fee.
A new state law requires that any person who is a current or prospective volunteer shall undergo a state criminal background check to be initiated prior to or within one week of commencement of such volunteer work. This includes mentors working with our 12th grade students on their senior projects, volunteers in the classroom, and chaperones at school functions and field trips. The New Shoreham Police Department will perform this check at no cost to our volunteers; it is valid for one year.
Individuals seeking a national and/or state background check must submit positive proof of ID, such as a valid driver’s license, state-issued ID, or passport. A copy of the results must be on file in the superintendent’s office.